On this day in 1707, Edward Bellamy wrote a second letter to Thomas Bowrey. Frustratingly, the first letter does not appear to have survived. However, in a complete change from Bowrey’s East India trading, this correspondence appears to relate to a house he purchased in Goodman’s Fields, Whitechapel.
Goodman’s Fields was a newly developed area close to where Bowrey lived in Well Close (or Marine) Square, Wapping and Bowrey may have been purchasing land on which to build a house.
The property in question had an old garden house. Bellamy is recommending that, if Bowrey does purchase the premises, he demolishes an old garden house on the land, increasing the size of the plot. A larger garden, rather than a garden house, will enable him to charge more rent. Bellamy points out that, if he does what he recommends, Bowrey will also save himself the cost of rebuilding the garden house.